- The manufacture of potato chips was discovered by chef Gore Krum, an African-American, who was working at the time at the Moon Lake Lodge Resort in Saratoga Spring, New York, one of the US states. This restaurant was famous for serving fried potatoes. One day, a customer complained that the potatoes were too thick, so the chef gave him more thin potatoes, but the customer did not like them. Chef Gore made potatoes too thin to eat with a fork, to annoy the picky customer, but surprisingly, the customer was very happy with them in 1853, nearly 150 years ago.
- Since that time, the popularity of potato chips has spread very quickly across the country, especially in popular areas. This led to the emergence of local companies specialized in the manufacture of chips, although the validity of factory chips was completely non-existent at the beginning of manufacturing. The big change occurred when the potato peeling machine appeared in 1925, when potato chips were produced in large quantities, and wholesale sales appeared in this field. As for the wax paper bag of potato chips, it was invented by Laura Scudder, who later owned the potato chip factory in Monterey Park, California; This is to keep the potato chips fresh and crunchy, which made them spread faster.
Natural potato chips and its manufacturing stages
- The potato chips factory produces thousands of chips per hour, and the following is a simple description of how they are produced.
- Potatoes for chips are grown, so that they have a long shape; For easy cutting, these potatoes also contain a high percentage of starch and a low percentage of sugar, which makes them thin on the inside and turns light brown on the outside when fried.
- The potato chip companies, after purchasing these potatoes, store them at a slightly cooler temperature; This is so that the starch does not turn into sugar, which spoils the potatoes.I t can also be stored this way for up to 4 months.
- The potatoes are washed and peeled using a special machine, then sorted according to size, and transported through a special production line to a cutting machine that cuts the potatoes quickly with sharp blades.The wavy chips are also sliced with a serrated blade. After that, the potato slices are washed by passing them over the water sprinkler line. This is to get rid of the starch that seeps to the edge once you cut it
- Then the potatoes that have been cut are placed in a large pot of vegetable oil, which usually boils at 190 degrees Celsius.When cooked, the water inside turns into steam, and the steam moves to the top, replacing the water space inside the potato slices with oil, which makes the potato chips fragile in texture.
- When the potato chips are cooked, the starch in the potato becomes brown in color, as observers make sure it turns the right color before removing it from the bowl. Then the potato chips after they are removed from the bowl are salted and flavored.
- After that, the ready-made chips are placed in large containers, after that they are weighed and placed in packages or bags , They are then packaged by pulling air from the packagings; In order to protect them from damage, all of this is done by means of a special machine.
- Finally the packages or bags are arranged into bundles for delivery to warehouses ” depot” across the country, and the warehouse provides the store with a shipment of potato chips at the time it is requested.
Components of the potato chips production line:
- Cleaning and washing machine.
- Peeling machine.
- The conveyor belt for the examination.
- lifter conveyor belt
- Cutting ”Slicing” machine (producing slices).
- Washing machine.
- Machine for bleaching and pulling starch.
- First stage of drying.
- A second drying stage by air.
- Frying machine (external continuous heating by diesel or gas).
- Oil drawing machine.
- The conveyor belt prepared for examination and cooling.
- Flavoring spraying machine.
- Flavoring Drum.
- The cooling conveyor belt.
- Packaging Machine.
Fried pellet chips and its production line:
The following elements are included in the raw materials required for pallet production:
- Pallet, which is the raw material made from wheat flour, corn or potatoes
- Flavors of various kinds
- Hydrogenated vegetable oil
- Cellophane for packaging
- Certainly, one of the most important elements and cornerstones for the manufacture of pellet chips is the lines and machines through which the future of the factory is determined by success or failure, for being responsible for obtaining the final product.
The production line for pellet chips consists of:
- The pellet feeder is used to feed the pellets into the frying pan automatically.
- Frying Basin – The frying pan used to fry pallet chips
- The oil filtration unit, where the chips are filtered out of the oil by shaking at this stage
- Oil compensation and filtering unit, which is a collection tank for filtered oil with an automatic return mechanism to the fryer basin
- Conveyor belt for drying stage
- The flavoring device (spice) is used to stir the flavor and transfer it to the seasoning
- Flavoring drum (Flavor Coating Cylinder) This device rotates the chips inside the cylinder for a homogeneous distribution of the flavoring powder on the chips.
- The ready-made product receiving belt is used to receive the ready-made product and transfer it to the feeding group whose task is packaging.
- Then comes the weighing packaging line and its accessories.
Bugles chips and its production line:
Components of the fried bugles chips production line:
- Flour mixer and its function is to mix flour + corn flour + water + other additives to produce the raw material for the chips bugles.
- Flour conveyor
- Double-screw extruder, which is responsible for forming the bugles dough
- Pellet dough cutter (customized shapes)
- Conveyor line for product to frying pan
- The frying pan and its accessories
- The vibrator of the initial oil filtration, which is a mesh conveyor line with a shaking device to filter the grains of the pellet of the oil, the first filtration
- Main oil filter vibrator
- A conveyor belt to the flavoring unit
- The flavoring device ((spice))
- Flavoring Drum ((flavor coating cylinder)) and it is used to rotate and move the chips inside it in order to homogeneously distribute the flavor powder on the chips
- Product reception itinerary
- Tasting samples are made of each batch throughout the manufacturing process, usually at a rate of once an hour. After that , Tasters check the chips for salt, seasoning, moisture, food coloring and general flavor, as the color is compared to charts showing acceptable chip colors.
- The raw materials in manufacturing and the production line are the most important elements that play an important and vital role in the production process.
- The success of the final product depends, to a high degree, on the appropriate selection of raw materials and the production line in terms of quality.
- Preventing breakage in the manufacturing process is also the primary goal of potato chip manufacturers, as factories install preventive measures at various points in the manufacturing process to reduce the chances of breakage.
- Contact us and get the best economic feasibility study for the chips production project. Marketing team